Rome, 22 August, 2016 – In July 2016, electricity demand in Italy was 29.0 billion kWh, with a 9.6% decrease on the same month last year.
In terms of peak output, a peak of 53,314 MW was reached at 5pm on 12 July 2016, with a 10.2% decrease on the highest figure recorded for July 2015.
Reductions in electricity demand and peak consumption can be partly explained by the effect of temperature and number of days.
In fact, compared to July 2015, one of the hottest months in the last 100 years, the average monthly temperature was significantly lower, and there were two less working days than last year (21 vs 23).
Demand in the first seven months of 2016 decreased by 3.3% compared to the corresponding period of 2015. Based on the same number of days, the result was -3.6%.
The 29 billion kWh demand in July 2016 was distributed as follows: 46.5% in the North, 29.6% in Central Italy and 23.8% in the South.
The downward trend in July 2016 was substantially uniform across the country: -9.9% in the North, -9.7% in Central Italy and -8.9% in the South.
In July 2016, the electricity demand was met for 86.4% with national production and for the remaining part (13.6%) with the balance of electricity exchanged with foreign countries.
More specifically, net national production (25.1 billion kWh) dropped by 10.3% compared to July 2015.
There was growth in hydroelectric (+1.9%), wind (+23.4%) and geothermal (+3.8%) energy production. There was a decline in both thermoelectric (-15.1%) and photovoltaic (-11.4%) production.
The provisional detailed monthly analysis of electricity demand for 2016 and 2015 are available in the publication "Rapporto Mensile sul Sistema Elettrico", (Italian version only) under the section "Sistema elettrico >> Dispacciamento >>Dati esercizio" at www.terna.it.